Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Name That Tune

Music adds so much to life. A church member came to me one Sunday and asked me how many times music was used in the worship service. Think about it, can you imagine worship without music? I think life is the same way. There has always been a song playing in the back of my mind. A couple of years ago, after complaining for the 402nd time about how all of my favorite radio stations start playing Christmas music before Halloween, my wonderful wife gave me XM satellite radio for Christmas. This means that I can drive down the road cranking out whatever kind of music I want. Usually I can find music anything from classical to country to 80s rock to suit my mood. I still call her out of the blue as I drive down the road, thanking her for the gift of the XM satellite radio connection.

I can remember where I was when I first heard a song or a time when the song had a special meaning. Recently, I have gotten to the point where I can listen to Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" without being sad thinking about my brother's struggle with cancer. Now I just remember him fondly when I hear it play. When I hear Journey, I think of my friend Daniel's Z-28; the "Footloose" soundtrack brings back memories of my college friends and time at the beach.

Music is not only a connection to my past but also to my present. I have decided that satellite radio is an excellent tool in my quest to help my oldest son develop his dismissive eye-rolling ability. When I drove him to school this morning, I started singing along with the Talking Heads song "Once in A Lifetime"and doing the arm chop move the guy does in the video. Result: instant offspring eye-roll.

What song is playing in your mind right now?

No comments: