Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Why the name sacramental dude?

I thought for at least 10 minutes for a name for this blog. How do you come up with something like that? Do you base it on a hobby or career, literature or something random? The sacraments, Holy Communion and Baptism within the United Methodist Church, are an important part of what I do as an elder in the church. I enjoy administering the sacraments, within my ministry.

But there are other things that are to me sacramental-- time with friends and family, even time spent watching the motion of clouds. Another word or phrase for sacrament is a "holy moment", or a moment or motion God can use to reach us. I guess there are many sacraments in life-- we just have to claim them.

I search for sacramental moments with my three growing sons. I realize that before I know it, they will be grown and gone and these days of sacramental opportunity will be gone---or at least transformed into other chances to claim God's work in their lives as they become fathers themselves.

Peace,
Joseph

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You may enjoy reading/re-reading, "The Cloud of Unknowing".It speaks to a path inward that deepens spirituality and allows God to commune freely with seeking souls. Roger